Sunday, June 29, 2008


Graduation Movie Review
Directed by Michael Mayer
Starring Shannon Lucio, Riley Smith, Chris Marquette, and Chris Lowell
This was a pretty cool little indie flick. Im a sucker for high school movies and if they are done even half way decent then im sure ill dig it. While the script didnt bring anything new to the table all the actors were so damn entertaining. Even the bad boy of the group still was likable to an extent.
The movie is basically about a group of 4 friends that are in their senior year of high school. Carl's (Chris Marquette) mother needs a bone marrow transplant or she will die. The insurance is tapped out so they need a quick 100,00 for the surgery. All the kids love the mother and treat her as their own so they all decide to come up with a plan to get the money. The girl of the group, Polly's (Shannon Lucio) dad own a bank in town and she is sure that he will approve of the loan. Once the loan is denied they decide to go ahead and rob the bank. They decide to rob it on the morning of their graduation. The plan is to get in and get out within 10 minutes. Of course everything doesnt go as smooth as planned or it would be a boring ass movie.
The direction and production values were solid its just the main flaw of the movie is that its pretty cliched and predictable. All of the actors did a great job and I see promise in the director. While I cant recommend it enough to go out and seek it I would definitely give it a chance if you see it come up on HBO or Showtime someday. On a scale of 1-10 I give it a "lucky to have a safety deposit box" 6.0 out of 10.

This is the kind of graduation I want to go to!

No comments:

Labels