Friday, October 02, 2009

Fantastic Fest Day 4 & 5

Fantastic Fest Day 4 & 5
I was so tired and burnt out I primarily rested these two days and took care of some personal stuff. The only movie I saw was Uwe Boll's Rampage and I walked out of Morphine cuz I was bored to death.
Rampage Movie Review
People have called me a Uwe Boll apologist and I dont deny it. Yeah his early movies are terrible to average at best but I think he has turned a corner recently with his recent output. Tunnel Rats is still one of my favorite movies of the year and Stoic is very very solid. While Rampage is not one of his best it still is a pretty good movie. The story is ultra simple. A dude that lives with his parents gets fed up with life and buys a kevlar suit of armor and goes down the street killing people and robbing a bank. The movie is filmed with handheld on a lot of shots and shows a lot of close up interview style with the main guy kind of explaining his motivations. Half the movie is set up and then he finally goes on his rampage. Those scene were cool and eerily realistic looking. There is a fantastic scene where he goes into a bingo hall unnoticed. It was very different than what you probably would expect. Its definitely more of a drama with some action bits thrown in. I really liked the look and feel of it but something was missing to put it over the top. I cant really put my finger on it but I thought it was well done but just average. I can see how people would either like it or hate it though. I do give Uwe credit for his awesome Q & A session afterwards. People were grilling him left and right and he handled it all very well. One dude said "my friend told me to ask you to please stop making movies!" He was also asked where does he fit in the heirarchy of directors and basically answered that he dont care he's just doing what he likes. He did mention Tunnel Rats and Stoic a lot so I think even he realizes that this is probably a new era for the director which im looking forward to. Final Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Labels