
Gran Torino Movie Review
Directed By Clint EastwoodStarring Clint Eastwood
Now in theaters
Wow where do I even start reviewing this one. I guess Ill start with the acting. All, and I do mean all, the acting in the movie is fucking horrendous. They got actual non trained ethnic people for the roles to make it more authentic and it shows. Even Mr. Eastwood puts in a bad performance with all his grunting and groaning. Whoever suggested,( as ive seen in some reviews)that he deserves oscar consideration for this role needs to just spread em while I get my steel toed boots on.
Now some people might argue that this movie is about a racist old man. I would argue that while he does throw out racial slurs everywhere he is not really racist. If someone was racist then he would treat them different or think of them as inferior as his own race. But he never does that. He treats his family, neighbors, friends, and priest all like shit. He is a crotchety old man, but without hesitation he protects his Asian neighbor kids on several occasions. If anything the movie is about Ageism and how difficult it is for him to accept changes.
The plot is about this old man whose wife dies and he is living alone in his neighborhood as the lone white person left. He despises his disrespectful family, his Asian neighbors cuz they dont keep up the yard, and the Asian and Mexican gangs that are around. After an encounter with a gang Eastwood befriends the next door neighbor boy and girl. After getting drunk one day the girl invites him over so he can experience her Hmong culture. Besides throwing out some more racial slurs he likes the people and begins to respect them. I dont want to give away too many spoilers but he becomes good friends with the kids and pisses off the local gang.
All the characters are stereotypical and some of the dialogue is pretty damn weak. The movie feels kinda like an after school special or a bad Lifetime channel movie. So we got bad actors, a cheesy bad script, an unbeliveable ending. So after all this trashing of the movie you know what?
I was so fucking entertained with this movie. I laughed harder at parts then I have at most comedies Ive seen this year. There are more racial slurs in this movie than almost every other movie ive seen combined and almost all of them are funny as hell. Gook, zipperhead, fishhead, beaner, almost any word you can think of was used. Even whe he was giving compliments or talking to friends he would bust out with them and I still never was prepared for it. Lots of unintentional laughs especailly with the acting. There is a scene where a boy is trapped in a room and he's banging on the door to get out that was so bad acting that it hilarious and pitiful. The ending was trying to be dramatic but I didnt buy the serious part of the movie for me so it had little impact. The final scene ended on a good and funny note though. No this is not a good movie in the technical sense but I was still entertained. On a scale of 1-10 I give this a "dont eat my dog" 7.2 out of 10.
Trailer (minor spoilers)
No comments:
Post a Comment