Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Favorites of First Half of 2008 Part 1

I love "best of" or "favorite" lists. They are a pain to make cuz I could rearrange the order all day long and still not be satisfied. But I just love putting numbers and ranking different things. Before I get into the rankings these are all based on movies that Ive watched in 2008 on dvd or in theater. I know some of these were released theatrically in 2007 but they qualify if I saw them for the first time this year. Ive seen more movies this year (150 estimated) by far, so its tougher than ever to rank them. Also this list does not include Iron Man and a few other major ones cuz I havent seen them yet.




Favorite movie based on a comic book or graphic novel
1. Wanted
2. Incredible Hulk
3. 30 Days of Night




Favorite Serial Killer Movie
1. WAZ
2. Anamorph


Favorite Foreign Movie
1. [Rec]
2. CJ7
3. Doomsday
4. The Cottage
5. Dragon Wars
6. Chocolate
7. Triangle

8. Rogue
9. 13: Game of Death



Favorite Death Scenes
1. P2 - guy tied in wheelchair gets smashed into wall by car and guts spill out.
2. Gutterballs - Guy and girl killed by suffocating from "69" ing.
3. 30 Days of Night - The beheading scene


Favorite Comedy
1. Run Fatboy Run - By far the best so far.
2. Semi Pro
3. Kisses and Caroms


Favorite Action Movie
1. Forbidden Kingdom
2. Cloverfield
3. Doomsday
4. Dragon Wars
5. Hulk
6. Rambo
7. Chocolate
8. Dragon Tiger Gate
9. Triangle



Worst Horror Remake
1. April Fools Day
2. One Missed Call
3. The Eye



Favorite Horror Movie
1. [rec]
2. Poultrygeist
3. Gutterballs
4. The Mist
5. Day of the Dead
6. 30 Days of Night
7. The Cottage

8. Zombie Strippers
9. Waz
10. Rogue



Favorite Movies Overall
1. [rec]
2. Wanted
3. Gone Baby Gone
4. Poultrygeist
5. Funny Games
6. CJ7
7. Cloverfield
8. Run Fatboy Run
9. Appleseed Ex Machina
10. Shattered



Favorite Movies you may have never heard of (Straight to Dvd or limited release)
1. How To Rob A Bank
2. Columbus Day
3. Whisper



Surprises of the year
1. Im surprised that Diary of the Dead was so fucking shitty.
2. Surprised that the Jet Li/Jackie Chan fight (Forbidden Kingdom) was actually almost 5 minutes.
3. Surprised that a Troma film (Poultrygeist) ranks so high on my lists.
4. After the moderate success of Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle in the U.S. im surprised there wasnt an effort to heavily promote CJ7 theatrically. With the right marketing it could have made some dough.
5. Surprised that the most kick ass game for the Xbox, Gears of War is going to have a sequel this soon.
6. After beating down the Spurs I was surprised that the Lakers choked so bad in the finals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool lists. It'll be a while before we see [Rec] or WAZ. I don't think I liked Semi-pro, Dragon Wars, The Mist, or 30 Nights as much as you, but that beheading scene was pretty crazy cool.
-JD

Labels