
Whisper Movie Review
Directed by Stewart Hendler
Starrring Michael Rooker, Blake Woodruff, and Josh Holloway (Sawyer from Lost)
I remember a time when I used to fucking hate supernatural movies. Dont get me wrong I still prefer slashers, zombie and other physical horror movies but Ive warmed up quite a bit to supernatural horror. I think the main problem I had with them was the unseen boundaries on what a human could or couldnt do the "villain" of the movie. It always seem like something random or goofy was the only way they could be stopped. And of course the item that's needed to be used to vanquish the foe always seems to be convienently around.
What does all that have to do with this movie? This is a very excellent written horror thriller that actually makes sense and has a strong ending. The movie is basically a kidnap movie gone wrong. Sure there have been many of these before but this does have that supernatural twist. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Josh Holloway was doing another movie besides just starring on Lost. I always thought he was a solid actor and could be a good lead. Actually he and all the cast did an excellent job. Im also a sucker for winter movies. The cinematography and the scenery was top notch. 
The story is about a convict thats recently out of jail and he's looking to turn his life around. He wants to open up a local diner but no one wants to lend him the money to start up. So he decides to join up with his g/f and some of his criminal buddies to plan a kidnapping with a fat ransom. What they didnt anticipate was the little boy they kidnapped is an evil little bastard. Im talking about that calm collected, I know more than you, smart ass attitude. He was portrayed brilliantly by Blake Woodruff. On more than one occassion I wanted to reach through the tv and punch that little kid in the throat. So the kid has some kind of powers and one by one starts to fuck with all of them. He has the ability to "whisper" things to people and influence their decisions and cause delusions.

I dont want to spoil much but the last 5 minutes of the movie is fantastic. Right when you think its going to hit cliche zone they take a left turn and do something inventive. The rest of the movie moves at a brisk pace and is never boring. Theres not too much in gore or jump scares but there are a few cool tension type scenes that really work. The only negatives I can say is I wished it was a little longer and a few more gore scenes. There are some quick flashes of violent acts but nothing is shown in much detail. Overall I enjoyed it and on a scale of 1-10 I give it an evil wolf chasing on thin ice 7.1 out of 10.
No comments:
Post a Comment